Friday, October 7, 2011

Seagull Experimentation part 2

 Those of you that have been following this blog will remember these famous last words on seagull experiment.  I wanted to,”…combine my current favorite elements, brushy paint strokes, a rendered beast, and some flat abstract shapes.”  That’s all!  No big deal.  All I have to say now is phht!
It started out ok, I got the shapes.  

 It took me all day to figure out how to tape off and paint really clean shapes on a super textured background.  I did it too.  People actually thought they were collaged on there.  I put shapes in.  I took shapes out. 

I showed it to my friends.  They hated the shapes.  I explained that I was trying to create space with the shapes, and that it was an experiment.   This seemed to make them like the shapes a bit better.  So much for being an aesthetic or perceived painter.  This painting was requiring words for validation.  Not a good sign in my book.  I liked the seagull, the background, the pink shape, and the gray shape in the foreground, but I knew it wasn’t working.  I showed it to many of my studio mates until, finally, Scott Inguito said what any self-respecting art critic would say at this point, “Paint out all your favorite things.  They are holding you back”.  I hate when people say that…grrr.  But I knew he was right.  I had said it a million times myself.  So what did I do?  I disregarded Scott’s advice and made a last ditch effort to save all my favorite stuff.  I was worried that if I painted the good stuff out, there would not be anything left.  I was going to be starting over anyway, so why not try to cheat painting death?  I figured I could block stuff out, but still keep parts of my favorite things.  So I took a tar like black and edited out a lot of stuff.  It looked like the seagull had been caught up in the Exxon Valdes oil spill.   

I used soap to dissolve the heavy paint and get some drips.  So the experiment continues…



1 comment:

  1. man that's a tough process. love reading about it...and all the collaboration.

    ReplyDelete