Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Derailleur and Thank You!

To start, I would like to thank everyone for their wonderful support a couple of weeks ago,  after my donut disappointment.  I actually had three rejections that week and the donut one was the least of them.  I know that painting is not for the faint of heart, though, I sometimes wish I had done better in math instead of art.  However,  as they say in pre-school, "you get what you get and you don't make a fuss."  (I don't mean to discount the absolute HIGH that one experiences while painting and it is not just from the fumes.)  Anyway, thanks again!

Moving right along, I could swear I took a bunch of photos of earlier versions of this painting, but all I could find were these three.  Oh well, it is the third painting in the series (A series that could use a name, by the way, in case anyone thinks of one.),  that includes, "Sloat", and "Orange Bike".  The first thing that makes this series exciting  is that it is headed in the direction that I desire, but could never quite envision or manifest, combining abstraction and realism.  These paintings are a huge departure for me.  I never know how they will end up... ever.  Ok, maybe I do in the last 30 minutes.  However,  it's not a process like "Side Swiped" where there is so much death and destruction.  It goes along steadily with a lot of editing, but no complete wipe outs. 

Another thing that makes this series interesting to me, is that when the painting is finished it is still a mystery to me.  I think who the heck painted that?  And last, the paint resonates and even if the painting were chopped up, each section could work as a little independent painting!  At least that is what I think.  I know what you are thinking, "Wacko Paint Addict". 

It still needs editing.  I am holding on to a lot of wheels.

For the most part it is finished.  I want to add some glazing to parts, leaving some parts still matte and chalky. 

Here it is with the glazing.  I used a blue in some parts and a ocher in others.  The basket, wheels and the strip at the bottom have glazing the rest is matte.    I like the contrast of matte and shiny. "Derailleur" 24"x24", oil on canvas.

Other two paintings in the otherwise un-named series.
"Orange Bike" 16"x24" oil on panel
"Sloat" 24"x24" oil on canvas
  

1 comment: