Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Fine Example of a Process

So it started out trying to be a Gerhardt Richter and ended up as another Lani Tanaka.  I was going for free/abstract/colorful,  things that apparently, I am not.  So the question is what am I so far?  I am tight, (illustrated by my fondness for painting with one hair brushes.), I am extremely controlled with color, (I get seduced by color so I try to control it, typical), and last and worst, I can’t let things be.  I’ve got to mess with it till it’s something else or has disappeared altogether. 
Enough negativity, considering that this painting started out like a abstract color storm and ended with this.... surprise!  

"Side Swiped" Last incarnation  20"x20" oil on oil on oil on canvas.  It does have a  nice built up surface and it's really heavy now.  It must weigh 4 pounds.  You can see the old painting, with a green glaze,  peeking through in the cast shadow. 
NO.1 It started like this.
NO. 2 Then it looked like this.  More color, this was really fun.
NO. 3 Then it got a little arty
NO. 4 OK, this is really painful
NO. 5 Ohhhh, I really liked this one. Too bad it's gone.  It melted or got buried.  I was pleasantly surprised how shimmery the white looked, glazy over the darkness and texture. However, I got a little too excited and tried to do more, too much and too early.  After that it got really muddy, which is hazard with oil, but also one of the reasons it is so alluring and exciting.  So I waited until it dried, something I should have done before it got like this.  Then I went back in and ended up with the painting  pictured at the top of this blog entry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment