Saturday, September 24, 2011

Process is Both Interesting and Boring

Someone made an emphatic comment about my blog the other day.  He said “WHY ARE YOU REVEALING YOUR PROCESS?!”  I am guessing that he thinks that writing about my process will either enable people to steal my “secrets” and copy me (ha! I don’t know why I think that is funny) or it will expose how boring and mundane my process really is and take all the magic out of it.  Reading this person’s thought out loud made me think about it more myself and contemplate why do I like to write about my process?

First, I do it because I love learning about the processes of other artists and thought that perhaps there are other people like me out there.  I have books that are collections of artist’s antidotes that I read often. I also like it when museums, like the Picasso Museum or the little Henry Moore Museum, show their personal effects and parts of their studio.  It’s like getting a peek into the artist’s mind/ world.

Second, I find that I can’t really write about anything else.  I write about what I know and this is what I know. 
Henry Moore in his cluttered studio!  Could he fit more stuff on that table? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment