Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Things That Move Us...While We Have Gas.

20"x20" Oil on Canvas.  So far so good.  I have learned my lesson.  I am going to wait till this bike is thoroughly dry before I mess with the background.  The last time I painted a motorcycle I sprayed the soap on, when it was still a little tacky and watched helplessly by as the whole thing melted right off the canvas.  

I have been working on a "vehicle" series.  I like the way our machines take us places physically and in our minds.  I like that their bodies have lots of plane changes.  This series started on Highway 5, painting semi trucks, Subaru's and tankers.  The series has expanded lately to include bikes, motorcycles, and scooters.  I might next paint some police cars and meter maid carts.  I have not yet decided if I can paint them well enough.  They are not as pretty as other vehicles, though they are pretty iconic and the black and white of a police car is pretty classic.  Its hard to get good pictures of authority conveyances. For some reason I always feel guilty and a little conspicuous taking pictures of police cars, especially when there is an officer in the car.  The other day I saw a police woman parked in the turning lane in the middle of Valencia Street, eating a huge muffin, talking on a cell phone. I didn't take her picture.  Just shows that parking is tough for everyone in the city and everyone's gotta eat.        

 This was the first sketch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment